3. Throw a picnic in your garden
Now that you’ve harvested all those fresh vegetables and fruits, it is time to make a delicious meal and dine al fresco. Pack your picnic basket and spread a blanket out in your garden. Bring along a few battery-operated lanterns and a small speaker to set the mood. Invite family and friends to join you for delicious summer salads and a dessert of fruit tarts.
Here’s some other food and beverage suggestions that make use of your garden produce:
- Watermelon salad
- BLT sandwiches
- Vegetable summer rolls
- Berry lemonade
- Peach iced tea
4. Keep your garden cool and comfortable
There’s something so refreshing about taking a break from your gardening and going to sit in the shade of a big tree. Trees, shrubs, and plants act like nature’s version of air conditioning on a hot summer afternoon. Don’t forget about your feathered friends and make sure that their bird bath is always full of water for them to cool off in.
Here’s some ideas for keeping your garden and yard cool during the summer months:
- Install a fountain, small pool, or other water feature. The evaporating water can have a cooling effect plus you’ll get the soothing sounds of running water.
- Build an arbor, pergola, or other structure to provide a shady spot. We suggest planting quick-growing bougainvillea at the base for more coverage from the vines.
- Place chairs or a bench in areas of your garden that tend to get the least amount of direct sunlight.
5. Make a plan for gardening in the heat
The temperatures just keep rising during the summer months and often the heat and humidity can creep up on you while you’re outdoors. Have a plan for how you’ll deal with the intense summer weather, so you don’t get heat stroke, heat exhaustion, or dehydrated.
Here’s some things to keep in mind while you’re gardening in the heat:
- Plan to do the gardening work that will take the most physical activity either early in the morning or in the evening when the sun is not so intense.
- Keep a bottle of water nearby and drink frequently. Consider drinking a sports beverage if you’re perspiring heavily.
- Wear sunscreen, a wide- brimmed hat, and light-coloured clothing.
- Take a tip from the kids and finish your day with a fun run under the sprinkler!